Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Sculpture Center

When I entered the Sculpture center the first thing I saw was "Joia Do Orixa."It was HUGE. It was a shiny red sculpture of a girl. She wore a straw skirt similar to a Hawaiian girl. It was the first time I have ever been to the Sculpture Center and the very very first thing I saw so it definitely stood out. I loved that it was so big because the space was big and I don't think it would have had the same impact if it were smaller. She was inside a see through glitter tent which made her seem even more alluring as the lighting glittered off the tent.        Not so far from "Joia Do Orixa" were stars made from mirror, that were shattered. Its called "Constellation." This one was my favorite. The light reflected off the mirrors and left different shapes all over the walls. The stars on the floor are meant to represent dreams that never came true. It makes me feel a little sad but it was my favorite regardless. The fact that the walls were brick made give it seem even better. They don't give a homey feel so it adds to the broken dreams effect.
      The third sculpture that stood out was in the basement. It's called '' Dame of the World.'' It was dark and the screen was the only thing down there. It was a documentary about a woman talking about being in the tattoo world. About the judgement and the acceptance.

" Joia Do Orixa"
Sanford Biggers
211

" Constellation"
Sanford Biggers
2011

''Dame of the World"
Rona Yefman                         
2011    
                     


No comments:

Post a Comment