Thursday, October 13, 2011

Design in Our Live Reaction

   High function art to me is art that a viewer can interact with, art that can make the viewer see things differently or appreiciate things they never have before. Everyone in New York has used the MTA atleast once. This makes the ''Metro Card Vending Machine'' one the most used machines. Making it Highly Functional. There are atleast two at every station and atleast one for credit/debit cards. While there is always someone in the booth, alot of people rather go straight to the machine. I feel that they are faster than the teller and you also skip the sometimes akward small talk. Everyone takes the metrocard machines for granted, but if we had none imagine the lines? You'd have to leave an hour early just to get a metrocard.
The second high function machine was the MyBlockNYC.com. I can't imagine how anyone would get lost if we had these all over the city. Unless youre technologically challenged, then a good ol' map will have to do. You could zoom into any area in New York and some places even had videos. I personally feel like we should have more of these around the city in heavy tourism spots and on the train it would make life so much easier.
    Low function art to me is art that is just there. Taking up space, art that is simple and nice to look at. One of the pieces I saw at MoMa that were low function to me was ''The Talk to Yourself Hat.'' Really? When i first saw I thought it was some sort of alien contraption. I thought it was stupid. Let's be honest who is really going to use this? It is a hat with a speaker inside, and a mic that comes form the back to front of your head so you can speak into it. The second low functional piece was ''Mutter Hat'' by the same artist. Maybe this was just a bad day for her. This hat consists of two speakers that play a pre-recorded mutter. Who wants to hear muttering? These two hats for me aren't realistic. I dont think I would ever see anything seriously owning and using these two pieces. I would consider these low functionality.

"MertoCard Vending machine”
MTA New York City Transit
1999

"MyBlockNYC.com"
Alex Kalman  Alex Richard  Igal Nussima

2011
"Talk to Yourself Hat "
Kate Hartman
2006
"Muttering Hat"
Kate Hartman
2006

1 comment:

  1. i agree that metrocard vending machine is high functional. It is very convenient. Myblocknyc.com looks very good site but i'd rather use my googld map application in my phone. i'm usually not good at finding the places or streets, i can find it easily with google app. now

    ReplyDelete